[ptp-dev] Replace with latest from HEAD

Hi (Roland, probably),

When we used CVS, you could use "Replace With > Latest from HEAD" to
completely reset a project to its state in HEAD -- it would overwrite
any local changes, delete any added files, add back any deleted files,
etc.

In EGit, there's a "Replace With > HEAD Revision," but it doesn't work
the same way (at all).  I want to reset both the index and the working
copy.

The best I could figure is to delete the project, then git checkout
that_project.

Something like "stash, then reset --hard, then stash apply" seems
ideal, but AFAIK these apply to your whole repository, not just one
tree.

Of course, I can't find an EGit equivalent for either of these.  (EGit
also failed miserably when a rebase had a conflict... so I'm learning
to use EGit only for "happy case" scenarios and fall back to the
command line when things go wrong...)

So... what's the "right" way to do this?  Can I stash and/or reset
--hard just part of the repo?  Should I feel guilty for abandoning
EGit?

Thanks.
Jeff

P.S. I look forward to the fact that all of my embarrassingly naive
git questions are being publicly archived for the rest of eternity.
Apologies, future self...

Back to the top