Re: [ptp-dev] Questions about remote support

Greg
I don't understand the comment about subclassing
AbstractRemoteResourceManager in order to have the resource manager wizard
correctly look at the remote system when validating the path to my proxy.
I have a class PEResourceManagerConfigurationWizardPage that is subclassed
from AbstractRemoteResourceManagerConfigurationWizardPage. When that page
of the wizard dialog is displayed and I fill in a proxy path, it expects
that path to exist on the local system, not the remote system.

If I run the wizard, I can click the browse button for the proxy server
executable and navigate to find the pathname of the proxy on the remote
system. When I click OK, the pathname appears in the path to proxy server
executable text field, but is flagged in error since no file by that
pathname exists on the local server. I don't have any pathname validation
logic in my PEResourceManagerConfigurationWizardPage, so I suspect this
error is coming from validation code in the superclass.

I'm also trying to use the browseRemoteFile method in IRemoteFileManager,
just to be able to get the remote file dialog to appear (I realize this
will need to change, but I'm just trying to get this part working now). I
think that I need to create an instance of RSEFileManager in order to call
browseRemoteFile. So I added org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse to the list of
dependencies in the build.xml file for the package containing my parallel
tab class. I then tried importing
org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse.RSEFileManager and I get an error message that
this is invalid due to access restrictions for package
org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/04/2007 11:35 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject

On Oct 3, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Dave Wootton wrote:

> Boy do I feel dumb. After reading this, I went back to the URL you
> gave me, and saw the instructions for using the PSF file at the top
> of the page. All I have to offer in defense is that I am only back
> from vacation three days, it's been crazy, and I was trying to get
> more stuff done today since I've got more vacation this month
> (including tomorrow & Fri)

No problem.
> Anyway, I can now create a proxy on a remote node, and I can get
> the proxy started. I tried running a job, but since I don't have
> all the files I need copied to the remote node the job crashed at
> the point where my proxy issues the fork/exec. There's a couple
> other odd things, but those are probably problems with my code. So
> that's a starting point.
>
> One thing I did notice is that when I created the resource manager,
> the wizard page where I specify the proxy path expects to find that
> proxy executable at the specified path on the local node, not on
> the remote node. I think this is the same problem I'm trying to
> solve with the RSE calls I need to add to my parallel tab. Just
> wanted to mention it.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean here. If you're subclassing
AbstractRemoteResourceManager rather than AbstractResourceManager
then the path should be for the remote proxy.

Greg