Re: [ptp-dev] Clarification of remote system model in PTP

Dave,

Prior to adding remote support, the assumption was always that the proxy would manage this type of communication. Now that we have remote services available, this raises an interesting design question. Should we continue to use the proxy to manage all interaction with the remote system (apart from launching the proxy itself), or should we take advantage of features that are provided by remote services? I see advantages and disadvantages both ways:

Advantages:
- More work can be done in java, which simplifies implementation
- More flexible than channeling communication via proxy
- (Possibly) easier to add new functionality
- May be possible to do things that the proxy cannot

Disadvantages:
- Introduces multiple communication paths, added complexity
- More difficult to debug communication problems
- All remote services implementations will have to support the full API functionality
- May be more difficult to standardize the way things are done

What are people's thoughts?

Greg