[ptp-dev] on moab integration

hi, folks -

Moab document says it can interface with both java and c, but looking into the API, I have two concerns:

- It doesn't have callback function to update node and job status, meaning if I want to update eclipse front, I have to probe periodically.
Is orte actively updating the front? how does it handle this?

- It is strange that I couldn't find API/structure to query system resource. Most API documented there are job related. One Moab developer suggested me to use their so-called "XML api", some C function will take a XML string, and return XML result, the same as you would get from their command line tool.

The issue with getting XML string *not* C structure is, I need to re-parse the result and set up the correct structure again. As a side note, these returned xml string can be very very large:

For example, on ORNL jaguar system with over 11000 nodes, to implement get_node_attributes(), a query to system yields 6.8M XML string, the worst of it is, *a single string* - so far it render Eclipse, Emacs, Gedit not responsive anymore when trying to load it. Even if I parse it right eventually, it feels so ugly, do you folks see this is a long term solution?

Maybe I am not the right track, or missed something here. Any comments or suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks

Feiyi

Back to the top