Re: [ptp-dev] PTP vs CDT main launch tab

I have no qualms about extending the PTP directly for performance analysis support.  However, I think it would be a good idea to continue to support performance analysis functionality independent of the PTP.   That way people who don't require the PTP's launching and job management can still have access to performance data collection for sequential programs and analysis and management of preexisting performance data.  For example, I've been looking at expanding the TAU plugin's capabilities to performance analysis of Java programs.

Another matter relevant to extending the launch configuration is automated launching of multiple executions with different parameters.  Batch launching is something we're really interested in over here for collecting performance data from multiple trials.  I was considering implementing this as part of the TAU plugins.  It wouldn't be very difficult in the context of our launch delegate 'wrapper'.  However it might be more appropriate to add to the PTP's core launch mechanisms, if this is functionality that will be desired outside of performance analysis.  If that is a priority, it might be something I could approach through the Launch system's extension points.

Regards,
Wyatt