Re: [ptp-dev] PTP RM commands and proxy events

On Dec 20, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Greg Watson wrote:

Some comments below. Craig/Randy, please correct me if I've got anything wrong.

Greg

On Dec 20, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

Craig
I have a question and a couple suggestions
When the resource manager sends commands to the proxy, it expects
asynchronous responses. Does this allow for multiple commands to be in
progress with responses pending?

The design allows for this by providing a transaction ID, so commands and events are matched.

But currently we don't have plans to implement multithreading, at least for the RM. But how about debugging, since these events flow over the same channel (I think), perhaps a separate thread for the debugger may be useful.

[What I'm not sure about are unsolicited events. I'm thinking here about the SEND_EVENTS command. Presumably the response to this will be an acknowledgment event. After this however, there will be an arbitrary number of STATUS_CHANGE events. Should these have the same transaction ID as the SEND_EVENTS command, or a special transaction ID indicating there is no corresponding command?]

I'm thinking they should use the same transaction id. We could add an event number to keep track of events.

For resource manager commands, additional commands that might be useful include commands to query node availability, query resource pools, query job classes, query job queues, query what's running on the machine, what's running on nodes, change job priority, cancel pending jobs (vs killing a
running job), disconnect from and reconnect to proxy. If the proxy is
expected to inform the resource manager of the complete state of the
machine, queues, etc, at startup, some of these queries might not be
required.

We originally had commands for all these things (at least the query commands anyway), but they were never needed with the event model. We eventually removed them, but they could be added again if there was a pressing need.

We will probably need commands for

change job priority, cancel pending jobs (vs killing a
running job), disconnect from and reconnect to proxy

I need to add these to the wiki.

Happy Holidays,
Craig

Back to the top