Re: [ptp-dev] PTP running on my second Linux box

On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Clement Chu wrote:

Hi Beth,

Beth Tibbitts wrote:

I just got PTP running on my second Linux machine (IBM's version of Red Hat
- 4.2.1.6 i think).
I built OpenMPI, and  the PTP C projects from the command line.
It was lots easier this time.  Experience I guess.

Observations:
1. the C projects (orte, sdm, proxy, utils) all indicate problems in the
Eclipse PDE in my workspace.
     Complaints say "No rule to make target 'all'   and 'clean'
I built them from the command line, though, and am ignoring these.
Seems to be OK.

I think this happens because eclipse tries to build all the projects automatically but because configure hasn't been run there are no Makefile's yet. I create an external launch configuration to run configure, then you can run the make targets, all from within Eclipse.

2. The first time I brought it up it complained about not finding ORTE, and
set everything to simulated mode.
     However i changed it all back to ORTE, ran my cleanupOmpi script
(kills orte daemons and deletes temp files),
     relaunched, and all was well.

Nathan, can you comment on this?

3. I had to remember to set the debugger to SDM in the launch
configuration.  It always defaults to nothing.

Clement, I think this should default to the SDM.

4. I have to keep remembering to run cleanupOmpi after each run. Then
relaunch my runtime workspace (that runs PTP)

I should check in the clean script, since it's going to be needed until they fix the problems...

     User sees "Invocation Target Exception" which is the symptom of
needing to do this.

Can I have the error message of Invocation Target Exception? I think you can find it in "Error log view". Thanks.

     We could probably catch this and give a more meaningful error
message.
When my committer status is final (REAL SOON NOW), I could probably
do that.

Yes, it would be nice to catch this error and cancel the launch. I think Clement has put in some code to do the cancel, so it should just be a matter of catching this exception more gracefully.

5. I get a lot of "workspace in use" errors and have to delete the .lock
file in my runtime workspace.

I don't have this problem unless I kill Eclipse with a kill -9. When are you seeing it?

Don't know if that's something to do with PTP, or just a flakiness of
Eclipse on Linux.

I haven't run anything more than "hello MPI world," but I'm a happy camper
right now.

Cool!

Greg

Back to the top