Re: [ptp-dev] PTP running on my second Linux box

Hi Beth,

Beth Tibbitts wrote:

I just got PTP running on my second Linux machine (IBM's version of Red Hat
- 4.2.1.6 i think).
I built OpenMPI, and  the PTP C projects from the command line.
It was lots easier this time.  Experience I guess.

Observations:
1. the C projects (orte, sdm, proxy, utils) all indicate problems in the
Eclipse PDE in my workspace.
     Complaints say "No rule to make target 'all'   and 'clean'
     I built them from the command line, though, and am ignoring these.
Seems to be OK.
2. The first time I brought it up it complained about not finding ORTE, and
set everything to simulated mode.
     However i changed it all back to ORTE, ran my cleanupOmpi script
(kills orte daemons and deletes temp files),
     relaunched, and all was well.
3. I had to remember to set the debugger to SDM in the launch
configuration.  It always defaults to nothing.
4. I have to keep remembering to run cleanupOmpi after each run.  Then
relaunch my runtime workspace (that runs PTP)
     User sees "Invocation Target Exception" which is the symptom of
needing to do this.
Can I have the error message of Invocation Target Exception? I think you can find it in "Error log view". Thanks.

     We could probably catch this and give a more meaningful error
message.
     When my committer status is final (REAL SOON NOW), I could probably
do that.
5. I get a lot of "workspace in use" errors and have to  delete the .lock
file in my runtime workspace.
     Don't know if that's something to do with PTP, or just a flakiness of
Eclipse on Linux.

I haven't run anything more than "hello MPI world,"  but I'm a happy camper
right now.

=============cleanupOmpi.sh==============  per Greg's instructions a while
back.
#!/bin/sh
echo OpenMPI cleanup for PTP...
echo killing orted processes
killall -9 orted

echo killing ompi_server processes
killall -9 orte_server

echo kill dsm or gdb processes if were debugging
killall -9 sdm gdb

echo Remove any directories starting with openmpi in /tmp
rm -rf /tmp/openmpi*

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts  (859) 243-4981  (TL 545-4981)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 455 Park Place, Lexington, KY 40511