[ptp-dev] Re: OpenMP tools

Well, we're trying to get to the point where we are in the MPI tools first.
I have a basic plug-in working, but currently, the CDT parser hides the
#pragma information. Don is looking at that I believe.
Since OpenMP has most of its usefulness in #pragma's that's a show-stopper
for doing most of the interesting stuff.
We should have a discussion on all this after the first of the year.
Once we figure out what information the parser provides we should be able
to make some plans about what we could do.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts  (859) 243-4981  (TL 545-4981)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 455 Park Place, Lexington, KY 40511

|         |           Craig Rasmussen  |
|         |           <crasmussen@lanl.|
|         |           gov>             |
|         |           12/22/2005 11:44 |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                          |
  |       cc:       Beth Tibbitts/Watson/IBM@IBMUS                                                                            |
  |       Subject:  OpenMP tools                                                                                              |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Beth,

I had a conversation with some our users this week and they were
interested in OpenMP.  What are you all thinking of in terms of
OpenMP.  Do you plan on static analysis tools to look at loop
dependencies so that loops could be parallelized?  Surprisingly (to
me at least) they seemed interested in this.  I think they are
interested in minor speedups over serial code (say times 2) if they
threw a few processors at their application.

I'm also interested in data dependency analysis in general so if you
have designs in that area please speak up.

Happy Holidays to all,
Craig

Back to the top