Re: [ptp-dev] Beginnings of a help plug-in

Beth,

I wouldn't bother with the simulator. This is really for testing and is not meant to be something people will actually use.

Here are the things I think it worth focussing on. If you would like to start building the documents, we could certainly keep them up-to- date as new features are added.

Regards,

Greg

1. How to build an MPI program using the managed build system. Topics include:

- creating an MPI project (same as for C but worth describing)
- specifying the mpicc toolchain
- include paths
- maybe launching an MPI program locally using 'External Tools...' (by specifying the mpirun command)?

2. The parallel launch configuration dialog. Topics include:

- selecting the machine to run on
- selecting executable to run
- supplying resource requirements (currently only number of processes, but this will include other scheduler type stuff later)
- debugger information (this is not finished yet)

3. The 'PTP Runtime' perspective (recently changed from 'Parallel Development'). Topics include:

- the machines view:
. how to switch machines
. node state icons
. 'hover' information
. selecting a node
. node information
. processes running on a node

- the jobs view:
. job status icon (run/debug/finished)
. process state icons
. 'hover' information
. selecting a process
. process information (still under construction)

4. The 'PTP Debug' perspective (recently changed from 'Parallel Debug'). Topics include:

- Launching a parallel debug session

- Process Sets
. selecting processes
. creating & naming process sets
. adding process to a set
. removing processes from a set
. changing the current set
. how debugger commands apply to the current set

- Breakpoints
. 'global' breakpoints
. job/process set specific breakpoints
. parallel breakpoints view
. breakpoint icons/colors
. creating/deleting breakpoints

- Suspended location markers
. how current location is viewed
. what current location actually means

5. PTP preferences

- debug preferences
- runtime preferences
- ignore simulator preferences, other than a passing mention