[provisioning-dev] Profile inheritance

Hi,

The week before last I had some discussions with Pascal about how
Equinox provisioning stuff will interact with Linux distribution
packages.  Since then I've been struggling a bit to get my thoughts and
our discussions collected so I'd like to discuss them here to get
others' opinions.

One of the ideas we discussed was profile inheritance.  With that, we
would have a system-wide (administrator-managed) profile that is
populated with the entire set of bundles available via installed distro
packages (RPMs, .debs, whatever).  (I am thinking we'd have to manually
avoid conflicts in what we ship, but that's tangential here.)  We would
also have per-user profiles that allow for system-wide things to be
disabled/enabled and allows for per-user bundle installation.  Does this
make sense?

Thanks,

Andrew