Re: [provisioning-dev] Profile inheritance

What your proposing is extremely similar to what we had been doing in our data model in Maya in that the base profile defined by an administrator could be augmented by a user.  In this case, we had envisioned rules as to what could be excluded such that some adminstrator defined software would be required while others could be updated to be excluded by the user.  The big difference in what we were doing in Maya was that the profiles were shared across systems, though I have a feeling if the use cases we defined worked out well in the shared case, then whether shared across systems or shared by users of a single system, I imagine the model could still work out fine.

In the case of integrating with Linux, the user would need to be able to define potentially multiple derivative profiles off of the base system one.  The challenge will be maintaining consistency of those derived profiles as the system-wide profile is updated by various package operations RPM, etc.  In that regard, I think the ease would depend on the rules of the added software.  If the added software conflicted with what the user already had in the profile, but the included software is able to be excluded, that it would be automatically added as an exclude rule.  In addition, in the case of a managed provisioning scenario with governance, if the governance model prohibits adding certain software that is added by RPM or other package, the user's profile would still need to have that software excluded.

Tim