[polarsys-iwg] ReqCycle - asking help to the community to develop teamwork feature

Hi all,

As ReqCycle project leader, I ask to the community your help to make ReqCycle project take off.

What is ReqCycle?
It is a PolarSys project that addresses requirement traceability from any EMF model element to requirements defined in the tool or imported from external source (ReqIF, Word, Excel).

What kind of help am I looking for?
ReqCycle current maturity level is considered around 4 on the TRL maturity scale (1 to 9). It is enough for use on R&D projects but not enough for industrial use.
Main missing feature is support for teamwork. Currently, tool relies on two files that contain respectively all requirements and all traceability links.  As soon as several people work concurrently on requirements definition or on traceability through SVN or Git, there are conflicts on commits and there is no easy way to manage them.

Why do I need support from the community?
1) no sponsor
During end of 2015 I wrote the specification on the wiki at two levels: user (https://wiki.polarsys.org/ReqCycle/userRequirements) and tool (https://wiki.polarsys.org/ReqCycle/toolRequirements).
During first half of 2016 I expected to find some industrial sponsors  (Thales, Airbus) to support development of this teamwork feature with AtoS.
Industrial companies contacted had other priorities for their budget.

2) shared investment
During S2 2016 I contacted historical partner (AtoS) to see if they could do part of the development. They were not in position to invest efforts on ReqCycle.
I then contacted Obeo but that was not their main strategic priority.

3) And Samares Engineering?
I believed that I could develop that feature iteratively. But I must confess I do not have spare time for that and I do not have enough skills to do it quickly.

And now?
Now, it you look at the contribution activity of ReqCycle project, you will see a flat curve for almost 4 months now.
I do not consider that situation as good for PolarSys community and I not see any possible progress if Samares Engineering remains the only actor to contribute because it is not core in our business and in our activities (Samares is more oriented on systems Engineering than SW).
I’m ready to invest some time to support any person that would like to come into the project and participate to the development of missing features. But I cannot do more.

Kind regards
Raphaël

Raphaël Faudou

Back to the top