Re: [polarsys-iwg] Licenses authorized in Polarsys projects

Hi Gaël,

Maybe we need to be a bit more technical on the contamination side. We have many ways to assemble software from different providers. Either we directly integrate at the source level, or at the virtual machine level, or at the middleware level (Corba, OSGI, OSLC, SOAP, ...) or at the operating system level (fork/exec).

Do we make any distinction in PolarSys ?

Best regards,
Marc

Le 12 juin 2013 à 11:24, Gaël Blondelle a écrit :

> Hi Pascal,
>
> Others will correct me if I am wrong.
>
> A Polarsys project
>     - Can host LGPL code. As soon as it is hosted only under polarsys.org and does not refer to eclipse.org in its namespaces.
> We have a specific case in mind with GPM (http://gforge.enseeiht.fr/projects/gpm/) which is a Topcased project that will migrate to Polarsys soon. GPM relies on dependencies that prevent it from being licensed under EPL and LGPL seems to be the voice of the project.
>     -  Can't mix LGPL and EPL licensed code. I think that the two licenses are not compatible.
>     - May give the possibility for its users to install LGPL dependencies. I think that putting code in a project that enable users to download and install other components under other licenses is not an issue as you don't redistribute the components and don't link with it explicitly. We have to ask the legal team about that. Do you have a specific case in mind?
>
> Best regards,
> Gaël Blondelle
>
> Le 12 juin 2013 à 04:16, Pascal Rapicault a écrit :
>
>> Could you please clarify the scope authorized?
>> -          Can a project host LGPL code?
>> -          Can a project distribute LGPL code (like distribute a tool as part ) ?
>> -          Can a project give the possibility for its user to install LGPL dependencies?
>>
>> Also for record, I paste here the segment of text from the minute.
>>
>> RESOLVED, The Board unanimously approves the use of the “GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)” license for projects hosted by the OPEES Industry Working Group. Such projects must be clearly identified as separate and distinct from Eclipse Foundation projects, hosted on a web property other than eclipse.org, and not using the org.eclipse namespace.

Marc Pantel
Maître de Conférences en Informatique
Assistant Professor in Computer Science
IRIT - Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse - CNRS
N7 - INPT - Université de Toulouse - France - Europe
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rue+Charles+Camichel,+31000+Toulouse,+France&z=16
phone +(33) 534 32 2185
fax +(33) 534 32 2157
cell +(33) 676 221 687