Re: [platform-webdav-dev] need guidance on a webdav cms

platform-webdav-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 06/27/2004 01:24:19 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I need architectural guidance on an eclipse RCP-based content manager,
> and how the eclipse WebDAV plugin fits in...
>
> What I would like to implement is a simple interface for content editors
> that allows browsing the content tree, backed by a WebDAV server (Slide
> in particular). For usability, I don't want users to go through
> synchronization, just a very simple open/edit/save process (this
> probably means I don't keep a local workspace copy). The content is a
> mixture of structured XML (for which I'll have specialized editors),
> text, HTML, and binary images, etc.
>
> Based on this, here's what I think the implementation could look like:
>
> - an RCP application, with a simple UI (i.e. not exposing most of the
> eclipse development features).
>
> - a tree-view for browsing the remote repository - this needs to support
> simple actions such as lock/unlock.
>
> - some decorators for this tree to display lock status, versions, etc
>
> - leverage editor infrastructure with custom editor input sources that
> feed editors and manage saving with WebDAV store.
>
> - some way to view revision history
>
> Questions:
>
> - what level of functionality does the eclipse WebDAV client implement?
> (obviously get/store works, but can I get revision history, prior
> versions, use DASL, etc). Also, it doesn't seem to provide full team
> support, just the sync view.

There are two webdav plug-ins shipped with the Eclipse SDK. The first
is a webdav client API and the other is an example webdav deployment
plug-in.

The dav client does not implement deltav so there is not history command
available. We use it as a deployment client and not for content-management
support.

> - is this a good approach, or should I try to leverage higher level
> eclipse functionality more, such as workspace and team support? If I
> don't build on these features, does it even make sense to use the
> eclipse WebDAV plugin, or I might as well use something else, such as
> the Slide client API?

If all you need is the webdav APIs (RFC 2518) for your content management
support than you can use org.eclipse.webdav as the client API. Otherwise,
if you want deltav support you may have to go with slide instead.

> - how can I reuse the configuration mechanism that the WebDAV client
> uses (e.g. editing and storing of repository locations)

This code is rather simple but not API. You can re-use via copy/paste.

> - if I build custom editor input sources, will it be easy to leverage
> functionality such as the Compare plugin, or I'll be stuck, because
> things don't implement IResource, etc?

The compare support doesn't rely on IResources at all. You can provide
your own compare inputs that show remote elements instead of local
ones. See the compare examples for the details.

> I would appreciate your thoughts on these...

To summarize - it should be doable. First see if the org.eclipse.webdav
API
is sufficient for you use-cases. Then a site explorer is easy to
implement, look
at the current implementation and tweak for your purposes. Add support to
your editors to lock/unlock/put/get at oppurtune times.
HTH.
Jean-Michel