[platform-webdav-dev] need guidance on a webdav cms

Hi,

I need architectural guidance on an eclipse RCP-based content manager,
and how the eclipse WebDAV plugin fits in...

What I would like to implement is a simple interface for content editors
that allows browsing the content tree, backed by a WebDAV server (Slide
in particular). For usability, I don't want users to go through
synchronization, just a very simple open/edit/save process (this
probably means I don't keep a local workspace copy). The content is a
mixture of structured XML (for which I'll have specialized editors),
text, HTML, and binary images, etc.

Based on this, here's what I think the implementation could look like:

- an RCP application, with a simple UI (i.e. not exposing most of the
eclipse development features).

- a tree-view for browsing the remote repository - this needs to support
simple actions such as lock/unlock.

- some decorators for this tree to display lock status, versions, etc

- leverage editor infrastructure with custom editor input sources that
feed editors and manage saving with WebDAV store.

- some way to view revision history

Questions:

- what level of functionality does the eclipse WebDAV client implement?
(obviously get/store works, but can I get revision history, prior
versions, use DASL, etc). Also, it doesn't seem to provide full team
support, just the sync view.

- is this a good approach, or should I try to leverage higher level
eclipse functionality more, such as workspace and team support? If I
don't build on these features, does it even make sense to use the
eclipse WebDAV plugin, or I might as well use something else, such as
the Slide client API?

- how can I reuse the configuration mechanism that the WebDAV client
uses (e.g. editing and storing of repository locations)

- if I build custom editor input sources, will it be easy to leverage
functionality such as the Compare plugin, or I'll be stuck, because
things don't implement IResource, etc?

I would appreciate your thoughts on these...

Regards,
	Viktor

Back to the top