RE: [platform-vcm-dev] does .project need to be checked into the repository

No feature of Eclipse requires this. If you don't check it in to the
repository, then it's a little more pain for you, as you will have to
"Check Out As..." to create it as a Java project, and then manually set the
build path. But as you say, there are positive sides to doing this,
especially if you're the only one using Eclipse.

james

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Matt Munz"            |
|         |           <mmunz@xxxxxxxxxx>     |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           platform-vcm-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           08/01/02 10:14 AM      |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           platform-vcm-dev       |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                              |
  |        To:      <platform-vcm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                               |
  |        cc:                                                                                                   |
  |        Subject: RE: [platform-vcm-dev] does .project need to be checked into the repository                  |

Boris,

  Thanks for your quick response.  Here is my situation -- I am working in
multi-developer environment with heterogenous development tool use.  I
would
like the repository contents to be tool-agnostic.  If developer X is not
using eclipse for development, then he/she has no use for ".project".

  Likewise, I would like to use the eclipse CVS tool to access external
sources (jakarta / jboss / etc.) that do not have ".project" and to which I
do not have commit access.

> You have to add .project and .classpath to the repository.

  What features of the system require this?  I'm not sure if the issue re:
not having project info is an issue for me, as I expect each developer to
set up their own development environment themselves.  Also, building will
be
done using a platform-and-tool-agnostic build system (ant).  Is there
anything else that will be disturbed by having "unsynchronized" .project
files?

  Also, after taking a look at the VCM 2.0 story, I didn't see mention of a
user story or use case that covers my scenario.  Does Eclipse VCM support a
heterogenous environment of development tools, or is it focused on teams
composed of Eclipse users only?

  - Matt