Re: [platform-vcm-dev] Need to use VCM heavily

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but it sounds like you would
like an easy way to mark an existing project as a "Maven" project?  This
seems unrelated to Team/VCM.

For things like JDT or PDE, the projects are marked as being 'of that type'
(using this term loosely) via an IProjectNature which gets stored with the
project in the .project file.  This allows you a place to hang builders,
and to make JDT/PDE menus appear on such projects in the IDE.  Once a
project has either been created as a JDT project (you do this via the "New"
wizards), or an existing project converted (this is what PDE does), then
the project will retain this nature wherever it goes.  For example, sharing
it via a repository.

From the description I just briefly read about Maven, it sounds like you
want to do as PDE does and 'attach' Maven'ness to an existing project via
the builders/natures.  Presumably the conversion step would also generate
your project.xml file.

Trying to hack the CVS support will I believe not give you want you want,
and will besides tie you to a specific repository provider.  If you go the
nature/builder route you will work against any provider.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

                      Martin van den Bemt
                      <mllist@xxxxxxxx>               To:      platform-vcm-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-vcm-dev-admin@         Subject: [platform-vcm-dev] Need to use VCM heavily
                      eclipse.org

                      06/12/2002 04:16 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-vcm-dev

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the bad subject, but couldn't find the right punchline for
it..

I am currently writing a plugin for maven, which is a a project
management and comprehension tool (would be nice for the eclipse java
development too btw..) (see http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven for
more details).

Since maven is heavily used in cvs projects and builds around 1 file
called project.xml, I am currently adding functionality to do a New-Team
Maven project.
I want to do several things :
1. The current wizard of checkout project As, should only ask the
projectname and team specifics and not the other tabs.
2. Add a popmenu item to the repository popupmenu saying checkout as
maven project and offer the same wizard as described at point 1.
3. From the File new, I should be able to do the same.
4. If 1, 2 or 3 are very difficult to achieve, is it possible to add
functionality after the checkout, since the project settings can be
completely extracted from the project.xml file, which is normally in the
root of the project.
5. I rather not change the VCM modules, since that needs your approval
too, and is easily breakable at the release rate eclipse is at..

Hope someone can give any hints on where to look for those extension
points (I looked and couldn't really find the solution to what I want)
and maybe a pointer to classes where I can have some example code and
which I have to use to get this done correctly. As every lazy
programmer, I like to reuse code, or just calling something that is
there, so if that is possible too, I am all ears ;)..

Mvgr,
Martin