Re: [platform-update-dev] Update Plugin Installation Location

Isn't the answer to what you want a feature in the target directory and all other features using the colocation-affinity attribute?

That is, based on your post I think your install tree looks something like this:

d:\somedir\eclipse
d:\somedir\eclipse\features
d:\somedir\eclipse\links
d:\somedir\eclipse\plugins

d:\yourproductdir\eclipse
d:\yourproductdir\eclipse\features
d:\yourproductdir\eclipse\plugins

Where in the links folder in somedir you have a link file pointing to d:\yourproduct.

So, if you have a feature in yourproductdir that is there already:
d:\yourproductdir\eclipse\features\your.feature

If you then added this to a new feature.xml that was to be packaged on an update site:

<feature
      id="your.other.feature"
      label="Your other feature"
      version="3.0.1"
      provider-name="you..."
      colocation-affinity="your.feature">

The key bit being the colocation-affinity attribute, then all features that have this attribute will be forced into the d:\yourproductdir\eclipse directory tree by the update manager install wizard.

The option to choose another location or an alternative location is greyed out.

Other products create a marker feature in a special directory for just this reason, it lets others use that feature id to force the install to a known target, and the product's uninstall will NOT delete that content (as it might be needed again and it did not write it there to begin with).  That part is not an Eclipse/Update Manager thought, just a behavior designed into the uninstaller due to the planned nature of that install target.

Pat McCarthy   --

mag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/14/2005 11:23 AM

Please respond to
platform-update-dev

platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-update-dev] Update Plugin Installation Location

Is there any way to specify the default location for an update plugin?  As
a default, the wizard provides the location of the main eclipse plugins
but our product is installed under a different directory and for proper
uninstallation, the update should be under the product extension location.
(Tim Koss also brought up this issue in his post "Install/Update
questions" on May 29, 2002 and I was wondering if any changes have been
made to accomodate this issue since then).

Thanks.
Grace