[platform-update-dev] Re: [eclipse-dev] Usage of -dev and -noupdate

Jan,

Most of the 'interesting' flags are in PlatformConfiguration. The ones that
might be of interest are:

   -initialize - runs the reconciler and exists. This is used by some
   product teams to create the initial configuration as the last step of
   the native install. When the product is started for the first time, the
   configuration is already created and 'Completing the install...' splash
   never shows up.
   -noupdate - turns the reconciler off. No features are computed - all
   plug-ins are considered 'orphaned' and simply passed to the runtime.
   -update - the opposite (also used to cancel out -noupdate and the
   implicit '-noupdate' when -bin is used)
   -install <URL> - points at the location where /features, /plugins and
   /links directories are. By default, this URL points at 'eclipse'
   directory.

Hope this helps. I am also posting this on platform-update-dev for the
benefit of others.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

             Jan Schulz
             <default@katzien.
             de>                                                        To
             Sent by: Jan              Dejan Glozic/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
             Schulz                                                     cc
             <jasc@xxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [eclipse-dev] Usage of -dev and
             11/19/2003 05:41          -noupdate
             PM

Hallo Dejan,

* Dejan Glozic wrote:
>Platform Help lists all public arguments in 'Tasks' > 'Run Eclipse'. Note
>that -noupdate and -update are private (internal) and are not supposed to
>be called by users.

Thats why I asks: I'm not a 'user', but the maintainer for the debian
eclipse packages... :) So, is there any list of 'private' arguments?
Or are all argumts listed in the 'PlatformConfiguration' class? I
noticed that there is something like 'install', but I couldn't relaly
fgure out, what this does.

>In addition to passing the correct command line arguments, the binary
>starter also reacts to the return code from Main. When rc=23 is returned,
>JVM is restarted because 23 means that Eclipse should restart. This is
used
>by the reconciler. When changes are noticed in the file system, reconciler
>app is run instead of the desired app. Reconciler app computes the new
>configuration, saves it, and returns with rc=23. Native launcher restarts
>Eclipse, which now has the correct configuration and can proceed with
>launching the specified application. Your launcher must emulate this
>behavior i.e. keep restarting Eclipse as long as it returns 23.

Yep, that's not problem. There are also a few other return codes I got
from the c sources of the binary starter.

Jan
--
Jan Schulz                     jasc@xxxxxxx
     "Wer nicht fragt, bleibt dumm."