[platform-update-dev] Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Nov 12, 2003

Moved to platform-update-dev for continuing saga :-).

I've interjected some more comments below. I am realizing that most do not know
that there are two .config directories which may be where the confusion is.

Thanks,

-----------------------------------
Peter Manahan
WebSphere Tools
Build/Install and
Product Architecture
------------------------------------
manahan@xxxxxxxxxx

Jan Schulz <jasc@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

15/11/2003 10:58 AM

Please respond to
eclipse-dev

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Nov 12, 2003

Hello,

* Peter Manahan <manahan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not sure I understand what all the fuss is about.  The .config dir
> is
> not user information. It is eclipse system configuration. Allowing
> general
> users to modify that is like allowing just anyone to write to the /etc
> dir.

In config is the infortmation, what 'sites' are installed. If that's saved
in
/etc, it means that users cannot specify a plugin dir relative to "$HOME".
<pm>

        There is more that one .config. There is the system .config
        and then there is the workspace .config. Whenever you create
        a new workspace the system .config is used.
</pm>

.config is actually not something, which belongs to /etc, as it is
initialized by the programm and not by the admin (or package
manager/programmers).

<pm>
        That is only true for the workspace .config. The "-initialize" flag for
      eclipse was        created specifically to generate a common
      .config dir by an installer.
        I was the one that asked for it so I know this to be true.

        So for WSAD when we used rpm to create an eclipse package for
        linux the post-install step step was to run "eclipse -initialize"
        to create "default" user config.

        From a usability perspective having eclipse showing the
        "eclipse completeling the install" splash seems to have
        confused many users. So a way was needed to freeze the default
        configuration at install time.
</pm>

> 1) root installs eclipse and in that process creates the .config via
> eclipse -initialize -data /tmp/workspace
> 2) user runs eclipse without error.
> for purists this is supposed to work (requires a wrapped eclipse
> launcher)

Fun. Now considere a university, where the admin isntalls eclipse. Now a
user
wants to install a new plugin.
<pm>

        This was which is why in 3.0 that eclipse is moving
        the workspace .config out of the workspace and having a user
        based .config. They system .config should still be there and
        should be created by the administrator. That is it's purpose.

        Initially it wasn't realized that people would use multiple
        workspaces instead of just one. That is why there is so much
      preference/user configuration        information in the workspace
     in 2.x. Eclipse 3.0 is supposed to remove the user
      configurations/preferences from the workspace.
</pm>

> 1) root install of eclipse
> 2) root then creates the .config in say /etc/eclipse/.config using the
> -configuration flag "eclipse -initialize -data /tmp/workspace/
> -configuration /etc/eclipse"
> 3) user runs without error using the eclipse -configuration /etc/eclipse/
> -data $HOME/workspace.

So I will change my wrapper script in the enxt version, depending, what is
actually written by initialize. AFAIK, Mozilla has something similar:
Chrome
registry. AFAIK, this goes to /usr/share. This app is run after every
upgrade
of a mozilla plugin/component

A /etc file would be something like the 'links/*links files or a config
file,
which specifes the default window system.
<pm>

        Agreed the links files shouldn't be in the eclipse directory.
        There should be a way to point to the links directory instead.
        The default windowing system is motif so there isn't a need for
        that. WSAD stores the user's current workspace and windowing system
        choices in a configuration file in the users's home directory.
</pm>

> What eclipse is missing is the user portion of this which right now is
> per workspace rather than per user.

Yes, that is missing too.

Jan