Re: [platform-update-dev] Using SWT from a Custom Install Handler

The problem is that custom handlers are loaded using the plug-in class
loader that belongs to Update Core. In other words, you can only 'see'
classes that Update Core sees. Handlers are loaded this way because you
want your features to be installable in the headless mode as well (when
installation is executed from the command line script). In that case, you
don't have UI around and cannot ask users anything.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                      "Foster, Susan B"
                      <susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx>        To:       <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      platform-update-dev-admin@        Subject:  [platform-update-dev] Using SWT from a Custom Install Handler
                      eclipse.org

                      07/09/2003 04:44 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-update-dev

I am writing an CustomInstallHandler to install a non-plugin file.  I
want to let the user choose where to store the file (xyz.zip) and need
to pop up a dialog box to let them browse the file system.

I am extending BaseInstallHandler and implementing IInstallHandler and
using the code in DefaultInstallHandler.java (from the
org.eclipse.update.internal.core package) verbatum.  This works fine
both when I jar the CustomInstallHandler and reference it as a library
and when I don't specify a library.  Then I add the code to implement a
pop-up dialoge box to browse the file system.  This works when I don't
specify a library BUT when I try to use it as a library I get the
following:

Unable to complete action for feature "XYZ Feature" due to errors.
  Error reported by custom install handler for feature "XYZ Feature".
[org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Composite]

The problem seems to be specific to the swt - Any ideas?  I haven't been
able to find any documentation on this - but I assume that letting the
user choose where to save a non-plugin file is something you would want
to allow.

Susan
email: susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx
phone: 480-552-0927