Re: [platform-update-dev] Help wanted ...

On Thursday 07 March 2002 14:20, klicnik@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> David, thank you for the offer [sorry if you are getting this twice, I
> wanted to make sure you get this and was not certain if you subscribe to
> the mailing list ... in the future I will only post the mailing list].
>
> I am going to show my ignorance of native things in general, and Linux
> native things in particular, by admitting in a very public forum that I do
> not know the answer to your question (after all, this is why we are asking
> for help). What I would ideally like to end up with, is a single native
> implementation for each of the platforms that would work "out of the box"
> on all the "variants" of each OS  without the need to upgrade the base OS
> support or install some additional support. On Linux, this would mean
> working against some common set of library calls that are supported "out
> of the box" in the runtime libraries provided on both targeted
> distributions (SuSE 7.3, the RH version that will be supported by Eclipse
> will likely end up being RH7.1 or later, rather than 7.2 as stated in my
> original note).
>
> I do not know if this is possible. If not (eg. if we want to exploit some
> particular support not available everywhere) we could handle this, but
> would require multiple native library builds, and Eclipse started with
> command-line options identifying the specific runtime environment (-os/
> -arch flags).
>
> So are the libraries required to implement the interface we sketched out
> available in both the RH and SuSE distributions "out of the box" and is it
> possible to end up with one implementation that handles both environments
> [sorry for turning the question around but we'll have to work out the
> answer based on what is possible].
>
> > I would be happy to help.  I can cover Linux.  I have Redhat,
> > Suse and Debian available.  More important however than particular
> > distributions, is library requirements.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > David

That really should not be a problem, and the code should be compilable
on any Linux platform, although quite what a CD-ROM looks like under
Linux/390 I do not know.  Most of the dependancies etc are sorted out
by autoconf and automake, the the C/C++ plugin for Eclipse knows all about
those and will generate an appropriate stream.

Do you have any of these written?  I looked in 0305 and found the
Java code, do you have the platform code for any of the platforms yet?

David

Back to the top