Re: [platform-ui-dev] Easier non-blocking progress report in dialogs: need API

On 10/16/2016 07:49 PM, Sergey Prigogin wrote:
I'm thinking of a simpler API:

myJob.join(0, wizardProgressMonitor)

Job.join(long, IProgressMonitor) method already exists but the Javadoc for the second parameter says: "No progress is reported on this monitor." There are other scenarios when progress reporting on the joining monitor is desired, e.g. when a user job is joining on a system job. Currently the user job is not reporting any progress during the join call, but it would be nice if it did.
Ok, sounds even better.
Do you already track this in a bug? Or should I open one.
An issue I noticed with the JobMonitor is that it seems tricky to hook the cancel state of a given progress monitor to the JobMonitor. For example, if I click on the stop/abord button of the wizard progress monitor, its setCanceled operation is not propagated to the JobMonitor. At the moment, unless I'm missing an interesting API, "compositing" the cancel would require to have the ProgressMonitor regularly checking for the cancel state of all its children.
Another (smaller) issue is that most ProgressMonitors that perform UI operations should then use Display.(a)syncExec or an UIJob.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top