Re: [platform-ui-dev] Blocking UI: Wizard Dialog modality

On 09/14/2016 05:12 PM, Stefan Xenos wrote:
> IMO, dialogs and editors are better being kept separated, or it will become more complex for users to figure out where to find the interaction they want and what kind of
> effect they can expect from the items shown in the usual editor stack.

Users are already familiar with the paradigm of having an editor that isn't associated with a file, since this is what any modern web browser uses as its UI paradigm. We've all used a wizard embedded in an editor every time you've signed up for a forum account, and most of us probably never noticed. If anything, users are more familiar with this than they are with dialog boxes.

In the case of my experiment, above, we ran a lab UX study and none of our participants were confused by it.
Ok, I never used such metaphor.
To me, editors are things you Save; wizard or dialogs are things that trigger actions (have an Apply of Finish button).
However, as I think about it, it seems that some stuff such as Preferences could be presented as an editor with a "save" action; but if you think about Launch Configuration or the New/Import/Install dialogs, my first impression is that it doesn't make sense at all.
But I didn't put my hand on such UI so I probably miss the interesting part in it.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top