[platform-ui-dev] Blocking UI: Wizard Dialog modality

Hi,

In addition to the wizard ui blocking discussion:

Users are often irritated by the modality of the wizard (blocking the underlying window). They are not able to navigate around for additional info whilst in the middle of a complex wizard. What I do is override the WizardDialog class to disable modality which is set in the constructor of WizardDialog. Something like:

   WizardDialog wd = new WizardDialog(composite.getShell(), myWizard){
      @Override
      protected void configureShell(Shell newShell) {
        // TODO Auto-generated method stub
        super.configureShell(newShell);
        setShellStyle(SWT.CLOSE | SWT.MAX | SWT.MIN | SWT.TITLE | SWT.BORDER | SWT.RESIZE | getDefaultOrientation());
      }
    };

I'm not sure if there is a pressing reason for making wizards modal. It would be nice if we could control this from the outside instead of creating an anonymous class like I did above.

Cheers,

Wim

Back to the top