Re: [platform-ui-dev] M2 is next week and some experiences with Android Studio

Another alternative to auto-save would be Sublime Text's approach of persisting dirty editors, so dirty editors are saved to a temporary location and retain their dirty state... so you can close the app while having dirty editors open and when you reopen the app, those same editors are still there and are still dirty.

Any approach we take, we should take this opportunity to kill that "You have unsaved changes. Are you sure you want to exit?" dialog box. I never want to see it again. Autosave the editors... or remember the editor's dirty contents. I don't care. Just don't ask me about it. :-)

  - Stefan

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 2:39 AM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>. I personally disliked auto-save too, but must say that now that OS X "force-feed" autosave in most of its applications I started to enjoy it. One just don't realise it >since it "just works".

I fall in the same camp. Originally, I disliked auto-save, until I
realized that I anyhow press CTRL+S all the time without thinking
about it. And I rely on CTRL+Z to undo everything, if I made an error.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen
<manderse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2015, at 22:36, Mickael Istria wrote:
>
>>  dislike the auto-save so much! However, I can understand some people like
>> it, but we really need to consider that it doesn't fit all users.
>

> Intellji save on focus lost, which actually works pretty nice.
>
> Eclipse already has auto-save on build - which is also nice; but saves less
> often.
>
>> IMO auto-save is in Intellij and family because the IDE isnt't able to
>> provide good validation on "dirty" documents, mainly because it relies on
>> external tools. Eclipse with it's incremental builds and so on is much
>> better on that part.
>

> This a dangerous logic trap to jump into.
>
> Validation by external tools is just a fraction of its usefulness.
>
> Just consider you have an application deployed to a server - if you don't
> press save, IDE won't make the changes available (both intellij and eclipse)
>
> The main reason for auto-save being available is that it just works nicer
> and most have git or IDE local history to undo any accidental save.
>
> p.s. I personally disliked auto-save too, but must say that now that OS X
> "force-feed" autosave in most of its applications I started to enjoy it. One
> just don't realise it since it "just works".
>

> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg