[platform-ui-dev] Understanding the value of a lower BREE if plug-in depends on a plug-in with higher BREE

What is the value to keep a bundle A on a BREE level lower than a required bundle B?

For example assume I have two bundles, A and B. A depends on B.  A has a BREE of Java 1.4 and B a BREEE of Java 1.6.

IMHO A can never be used on a JRE 1.4. As B requires 1.6, it will not resolve on on a 1.4 JRE and A cannot resolve, as B cannot be resolved.

I can only see two "values" for A (one of them is negativ):

1.) Keeping A on a BREE 1.4 prevents source code in it from using Java 1.5 or Java 1.6 language and library constructs. In other words "A" has less options. This is a negative value IMHO for A.
2.) Generics warning are not visible in A (could also be solved on a BREE 1.6 and corresponding project settings)

Is there more value for keeping A on a lower BREE than B? Or is there even a scenario in which A could actually work on a 1.4 JRE with a version B requiring 1.6?

Back to the top