Re: [platform-ui-dev] Updating JFace version ID

For Mars, it's totally fine to move org.eclipse.jface to 3.11 for non-breaking API changes like this.
That's the normal evolution according to https://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering#When_to_change_the_minor_segment

Markus

From:        Jeanderson <jeandersonbc@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        2014-06-10 03:00
Subject:        [platform-ui-dev] Updating JFace version ID
Sent by:        platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I'm currently working with Lars Vogel and Hendrik Still in our proposal to add Generics support to JFace viewers as part of Google Summer of Code 2014.

I'm migrating old patches from last year by Hendrik to continue the work from where he stopped (first attempt to add Generics on GSoC 13).

After merging the patch "https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/16584/", we have the following change:

---------Before--------
public class StructuredViewerInternals {
protected static void setAssociateListener(StructuredViewer viewer,
            AssociateListener listener) { ... }

protected static Widget[] getItems(StructuredViewer viewer, Object element) { ... }
}

---------After-----------
public class StructuredViewerInternals {
protected static <E,I> void setAssociateListener(StructuredViewer<E,I> viewer,
            AssociateListener listener) {...}

protected static <E,I> Widget[] getItems(StructuredViewer<E,I> viewer, E element) { ... }
}

Although tests run with no problems, Eclipse complains that this is a minor change (change of API with backwards compatibility), therefore should be 3.11.qualifier instead of 3.10.qualifier.

I'm writing to know if there's any problem on updating the JFace version, so we won't have any problems when the whole work gets done and ready to be merged into Eclipse repository.

I'm working in a forked branch at Github: jeandersonbc/eclipse.platform.ui

Thanks in advance. I hope to get more involved with the community and continue to contribute to Eclipse after the program.

Best regards,
Jeanderson Barros Cândido
platform-ui-dev mailing list
platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx