Re: [platform-ui-dev] Some thoughts on the E4 compatibility story

Don't forget Eclipse 4 means the e4.core and e4.ui bundles that graduated out of E4 incubator. and the RCP paradigm they imply (provide an input model, the DI runtime, CSS as part of that framework layer).  e4 means the incubator.  That distinction has to stay.

Right now we often refer to the compat layer or 4.2 (which includes the Workbench re-implemented on top of Eclipse 4), and as I understand it this is something we should find a new name for.

EAP is still an important distinction, because it's not about technology, but it is the application services that eclipse must/should provide.  Technically we're writing these down and expressing them to capture their importance.  They exist in 3.7.  They need to exist in a more modular fashion in Eclipse 4, or we hobble pure Eclipse 4 RCP apps. This work is ongoing.

PW

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR