Re: [platform-ui-dev] Some thoughts on the E4 compatibility story

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Eric Moffatt <emoffatt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To echo John I'm in complete agreement that we should never mention 'compatibility layer' again.

I'm all for finding another term for compatibility layer with less negative connotations.  It's not just a backwards compat layer but will evolve to be a bridge that exposes the benefits of the Eclipse 4 work going forward.

e4: The underlying 'core' API (model / DI + a very few services EModelService, EPartService, EventBroker...)

All of these components are the core Eclipse 4 bundles.  That was the naming distinction we made when they  graduated out of e4.

e4 is still the Eclipse technology integration project, and can still try out new technologies to be consumed by the platform and SDK (search for example).

EAP (Eclipse Application Platform   aka RCP 2): Aproject based on e4 providing a simple application life cycle but that does not support legacy eclipse components like views. In incubation but gestating nicely

This is still important, although we haven't focused on it as much in 4.2.

Eclipse 4: The re-implementation of the Eclipse 3 UI 'policy' and API using e4.

This is  the one I think we need a new name for, because by default we've just been calling it the compatibility layer or the 3.x layer.

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster