[platform-ui-dev] proposal: let's simplify bug triage

We have 64 areas in Platform/UI. Having this many areas creates overhead in bug triage and might delay bug resolution if bug gets placed in a wrong bin. We also use "QA" field to indicate actual person watching the area. As people move, those relationships go stale.

I'd like to simplify the bug triage process:
- Let's consolidate the 64 areas into 10 - 15 larger areas;
- For new bugs we'll only assign "QA" for areas where specific people have to be notified (CommonNavigator, Graphics, DataBinding, LinkedResources)
- We'll have at least one person on the team watching "triaged" mailbox.
- We'll have a "default" area for bugs that don’t easily fit into one of our bins (specified by the absence of "[...]" tags on triaged bug).

Would that make sense to everybody?

I am going to assume lazy consensus if there are no objections within the next seven days.

Sincerely,
Oleg Besedin

Addendum. Proposed list of consolidated areas.

Title: From Bugzilla viewpoint we have two sub-components: Platform/UI and Platform/IDE

From Bugzilla viewpoint we have two sub-components: Platform/UI and Platform/IDE. I’ll list IDE as a component area below, but in the Bugzilla it as a sub-component.

Proposed area

Covers current areas

Proposed “QA”

Description

Commands

ActionSets

Paul

Commands, activities, key bindings and actions supplied by Platform/IU

ActivityMgmt

Commands

Contexts

Contributions

GlobalActions

KeyBindings

Undo

CommonNavigator

CommonNavigator

Francis

DataBinding

DataBinding

Matthew

Dialogs

About

N/A

All issues in dialogs supplied by Platform/UI

Dialogs

Preferences

PropertiesDialog

Wizards

Graphics

Graphics

Susan

Icons, colors, fonts, look and feel

IDE

EFS

N/A

Everything that IDE adds to the workbench

Features

IDE

Import/Export

Markers

Navigator

JFace

CellEditors

N/A

All things JFace plus tabbed properties

Coolbar

FieldAssist

JFace

TabbedProperties

Viewers

LinkedResources

LinkedResources

Serge

PropertiesView

N/A

All issues in views supplied by Platform/UI

Outline

Workbench

Decorators

N/A

Workbench: editor and view management, trim, perspectives, working sets, drag-and-drop, min/max, quick access.

DetachedView

DND

DynamicGUI

EditorMgmt