[platform-ui-dev] CheatSheet Extentions?

I'm looking at trying to provide developer direction for relatively
complicated (and dynamic) workflows using Eclipse and CheatSheets.

As I'm trying to do this I find myself wanting  few things that
don't appear to be present:

1)   Nestable CheatSheets:
     I would like for an <item>'s <action> to be able to look around the
     current project and decide to launch another CheatSheet for a user
     to follow to continue the workflow.  Picture bringing up a new
     CheatSheet to walk a user through the commit requirements for
     the branch to which code changes need to be commited.  Currently
     however only one CheatSheet view can be visible at a time.  I'd like
     to be able to bring up multiple CheatSheet views and have them
nested (logically, not visually). The current <subitems> not supporting order precludes their use for this (among other issues).
2)   Per project CheatSheets:
Currently CheatSheets seem to be workspace associated (which is fine for some of them), but I really need to be able to associate CheatSheets per project, as a developer may have multiple workflows (each in their own project) going at
     once.
3)   Better programmatic control of Wizards and Dialogs:
     I would like to be able to provide <action>s for <item>s which
     bring up the appropriate Wizard for proceeding to the next step
*and* allow me to prepopulate their fields with what would appear to be the correct data. The developer may, of course, override this. The way's I've currently found of attacking this problem is to try to override Preferences for those aspects of dialogs which take their defaults from preferences. Many Wizard specified fields do not however, most notably those in the default WizardNewProjectCreationPage, where I can discover no way to have an action
     prepopulate a default project name and location.

Is there any interest in pursuing these sorts of improvements? It would seem to me that the first two can be localized to CheatSheets, and the last would probably best be served by providing a WizardBackingStore (Preference object?) that could be used to optionally pass in defaults to a wizard.
Am I crazy or missing a trivial way to acheive these goals?

Ed

Back to the top