Re: [platform-ui-dev] Hiding functionality using platform-defined actions?

The SDK will only be supplying the activities we currently ship (namely
Java Development, Java Debugging and Plug-in Development).   They are in
the org.eclipse.platform plug-in only you you will not have to use them if
you do not want to.

roles have been replaced by categories. A category is functionally the
same thing. People had too many different ideas of what a role should mean
semantically so we named it something less confusing.

You should be careful about defining activities in your actual plug-ins as
it forces whoever wants to use them in thier own Eclipse setup to have to
take them into consideration in thier own design which can get very
difficult on large projects. The rule of thumb we use is that if your
plug-in does not refer to the activity directly it should not be defined
in it.

Tod

"John Ruud" <jruud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/09/2004 06:27 PM
Please respond to
platform-ui-dev

<platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Hiding functionality using platform-defined actions?

We’re building an application on top of the Eclipse platform, but would
like to hide some of the platform functionality based on the user (role).
It is not necessary to enforce these restrictions; we simply don’t want
some users to get confused by being presented with too many options.

I’ve been experimenting with using ‘activities’ for handling this task and
it generally seems to work very well. However, I’m looking for a reliable
way of for example hiding ‘debugging’ and ‘team’ functionality from
‘end-users’.

I suppose I could define all the activities that make up the platform
myself, but it seems more reliable if either the platform (the branding
plugin) or each contributing plugin would contribute these basic
activities, as each activity may span several plugins and ids. Does it
seem reasonable that the platform would contribute a set of basic
activities (for example ‘debug’, ‘ant’, ‘update’ etc.) in order to
simplify hiding some of the platform functionality?

Also, it would be useful if the platform would support grouping of
activities. I think something like org.eclipse.ui.roles would be useful,
but it seems to be missing from the latest builds. Are there any plans for
adding it back in?

Thanks,
John

Back to the top