[platform-ui-dev] Hiding functionality using platform-defined actions?

We’re building an application on top of the Eclipse platform, but would like to hide some of the platform functionality based on the user (role). It is not necessary to enforce these restrictions; we simply don’t want some users to get confused by being presented with too many options.

I’ve been experimenting with using ‘activities’ for handling this task and it generally seems to work very well. However, I’m looking for a reliable way of for example hiding ‘debugging’ and ‘team’ functionality from ‘end-users’.

I suppose I could define all the activities that make up the platform myself, but it seems more reliable if either the platform (the branding plugin) or each contributing plugin would contribute these basic activities, as each activity may span several plugins and ids. Does it seem reasonable that the platform would contribute a set of basic activities (for example ‘debug’, ‘ant’, ‘update’ etc.) in order to simplify hiding some of the platform functionality?

Also, it would be useful if the platform would support grouping of activities. I think something like org.eclipse.ui.roles would be useful, but it seems to be missing from the latest builds. Are there any plans for adding it back in?

Thanks,

John

Back to the top