Re: [platform-ui-dev] Parameterized Commands (was 'Key Binding Problem')

On March 9, 2004 02:06 pm, Stefan Xenos wrote:
> command -- I imagine that some commands might take a filename or an
> equation as a parameter (imagine a command that launches a user-defined
> external program). Perhaps we could consider a model more like the JDT's

This is an interesting point.  But we also have to consider the limitations of
the screen real estate at our disposal.  I believe the ideal case (for
simplicity) is to have a very restricted number of "styles", so that the user
interface elements can be integrated into an existing preference page --
rather than requiring their own.  I feel that a separate page for each
parameterized command is a bit heavyweight for what we're trying to do.

Perhaps we provide a set of possibilities: Text, Combo, and Spinner -- for
example.  This allows us to nest the element in a larger list containing
different types of parameterized commands.

Also, in the fixed list case, it might be better to expand the list in-line.
So for example:
    + File (category)
    + Edit (category)
        +Copy (regular command)
        +Cut (regular command)
    + Run (category)
        + Run... (parameterized command -- fixed list)
            + Eclipse (parameter)
            + UI Test Suite (parameter)

d.

Back to the top