Re: [platform-ui-dev] What is being done in 3.0 to clean up accelerator keys?

Chris McLaren wrote:
Bob,

Another possibility is that you yourself can make use of multiple key stroke key bindings, provided you find yourself an unused and reasonable initial key stroke.
Then you open up a huge domain of keys for yourself to use.

For a week or so.

Thanks for your replies, Chris. I'll consolidate my response here.

> First, the key binding for Navigate -> Open Declaration is defined by JDT
> in the general context. I'm not sure where you can use 'Open Declaration'
> outside of the Java Editor, so you might want to raise this issue with
> them,
> that perhaps they should be defining this key binding in the Java Editing
> context only.
>
> Second, as an editor you can define your own context - say 'Editing with
> XML Buddy'. In one line of Java code you can associate this context with
> your editor. When your editor is active, key bindings in your context will
> be preferred over all others. Even without JDT contextualizing their
> Navigate -> Open Declaration key binding, you can still override it in your
> editor using this method.

These two paragraphs seem contradictory. But never mind that, what is this magic one line of Java code? (I've tried lots of lines of Java code over the months and have never found anything that works.)

> Work on this set, as well as other key bindings / commands work has
> unfortunately been deferred by management in favor of other items.
> (Most of our team is working on the 'new look' now..)

A short attention span is a required management skill.

> Contexts is your
> best option here - simply take the keys you need while your plugin is
> active. (You still will have to struggle to find available key sequences
> for those actions you want to have a global key binding)

How's that done again?

Bob

Back to the top