Re: [platform-ui-dev] Activities and Contexts - Important Update

> I suggest we move this to platofrm-ui dev as it is something people will
> want to understand generally. Wayne I assume you are on platform-ui dev -
> let me know if not.

This was already on platform-ui-dev.

> >For views, the semantics aren't as clear:
> >a) The big question: the Show View dialog currently filters out views
> >based on activity, but should the Show View dialog also further filter
> >context bound views? i.e. Should the user be restricted to only be
> allowed
> >to open views that are currently in context?
>
> I think what we have now is right. The activities API is used to support
> progressive disclosure - that is only showing functionality as it becomes
> useful to the user so as to reduce clutter and make the inital user
> experience better. As a result it is quite static - it is likely that a
> user would settle down to a pretty consistent set of activities after they
> have been working for a while.
>
> Contexts solve a different problem - that is functionality that is only
> useful when some condition within the workbench occurs (i.e. I am looking
> a stack trace in the Debug View). These are much more dynamic.
>
> I think binding things like the views in the Show View dialog or wizards
> to a context would just be frustrating for the user and difficult to get
> the workflow right for. Binding something like the available commands to
> context is more appropriate.

Filtering doesn't necessarily mean 'not showing'. In fact, I would expect
that Show View dialog would filter by simply 'lowlighting' (i'm trying to
imagine here a 'faded out' label that is distinguishable from 'disabled'..)
those views not currently in context - views that are effectively empty and
useless until the user starts doing something different. This gives a clear
indication to which views aren't useful right now without causing the user
to say 'where's my view? i just saw it a second ago and now i can't open it!'

I think it would be a great benefit to the UI to have this functionality but
it suggests declarative API for binding view to contexts such that workbench
systems (such as the Show View dialog) can have this information to process.

> >d) Also there might be some user-defined behavior on how those views
> might
> >hide themselves once one leaves a context. How do we distinguish those
> >views that might contain residual information (logs, etc.) that you might
>
> >not simply want to disappear just because the debug target terminated,
> vs.
> >those that can disappear automatically (variables view, maybe?).
>
> I think this might confuse the user if thier layout changes all of the
> time on them without a clear idea why. I think this will largely shake out
> by the behaviour in b. I can't really think of a use case myself for this
> scenario so I am not sure that it worth doing.

Putting tools in front of a user is one half of adaptive UI - taking them
away is the other half. Think 'surgeon's assistant' - 'nurse: scapel,
sponge, etc..'

I want views to both open and close automatically where possible. My
feeling is that if the UI made a mess, it should clean it up.

I don't think anyone is currently hiding views programmatically in the UI,
but Wayne does have a clear use case that I agree with.

I'm further suggesting that we might distinguish those views that
could potentially hide automatically based on leaving a context vs. those
that should require more of a state change (like an explicit user action).

Personally, I think as soon as a view is empty and useless outside of a
particular context, it should get lost. 'Empty and useless' here means no
enabled commands, residual information, or state (other than user
preferences).

Chris

Back to the top