Re: [platform-ui-dev] Activities and Contexts - Important Update

I suggest we move this to platofrm-ui dev as it is something people will
want to understand generally. Wayne I assume you are on platform-ui dev -
let me know if not.

>For views, the semantics aren't as clear:
>a) The big question: the Show View dialog currently filters out views
>based on activity, but should the Show View dialog also further filter
>context bound views? i.e. Should the user be restricted to only be
allowed
>to open views that are currently in context?

I think what we have now is right. The activities API is used to support
progressive disclosure - that is only showing functionality as it becomes
useful to the user so as to reduce clutter and make the inital user
experience better. As a result it is quite static - it is likely that a
user would settle down to a pretty consistent set of activities after they
have been working for a while.

Contexts solve a different problem - that is functionality that is only
useful when some condition within the workbench occurs (i.e. I am looking
a stack trace in the Debug View). These are much more dynamic.

I think binding things like the views in the Show View dialog or wizards
to a context would just be frustrating for the user and difficult to get
the workflow right for. Binding something like the available commands to
context is more appropriate.

>b) One might define that a particular view is to be opened and brought to

>the top when a particular context becomes active, but another view is
only
>to open itself on the bottom of a stack such that the user notices only
>the tab appearing.

I think this is a good use case for contexts. The user could still get the
view if they really wanted it using Show View but when the context becomes
active it might be required hence worth opening. Once again basically the
same thing as the current switch to the debug perspective when you start
to run something.

>c) There might be some user defined behavior here as well - preferences
>open certain views based on certain contexts.
Sure. Essentially the same idea as b - just configurable.

>d) Also there might be some user-defined behavior on how those views
might
>hide themselves once one leaves a context. How do we distinguish those
>views that might contain residual information (logs, etc.) that you might

>not simply want to disappear just because the debug target terminated,
vs.
>those that can disappear automatically (variables view, maybe?).

I think this might confuse the user if thier layout changes all of the
time on them without a clear idea why. I think this will largely shake out
by the behaviour in b. I can't really think of a use case myself for this
scenario so I am not sure that it worth doing.

Tod

Back to the top