Re: [platform-ui-dev] Editing of external files

Ed,

The RCP work did not yet cover cross component consolidation.  So far, opening external files is provided by the text component. For files that are not resources in the workspace, i.e. java.io.File, the OpenExternalFileAction constructs a JavaFileEditorInput. ILocationProvider is used to transparently get the location from an editor input in order to acquire a file buffer from the file buffer manager. There wasn't the concept of IPathEditorInput at that point in time.  As now both exist we might get rid of one of them and provide answers to your questions when consolidating these cross component issues.

Sorry, no better answer yet. Kai