Re: [platform-ui-dev] Proposal: hierarchical Bookmarks and Tasks...

Hi Brian,

I think bookmarks would be very helpful.  I'd really like to hear
how you would organize them hierarchically.

I would use a relatively flat hierarchy (at most 3 levels).
At the highest level I would have different projects/tasks.
The next level would be what I am doing/looking at. Like
Commands/Actions or View or drawing related.

I must admit to not being much of a believer in hierarchical
classifications.  Perhaps a small, shallow hierarchy would work,
but otherwise I think they would become unmanageable.  Such a large
list would be akin to my HTML browser's bookmarks: I have 406 URLs
in my list, but I rarely remember what URLs I bookmarked.  Even
when I remember a particular URL, I rarely remember where I
categorized it unless it's often used (*).

I fully agree with you. Therefore I don't use classical bookmarks
anymore. Since some time I use a tool that saved the page with the
bookmark (www.ContentSaver.com). There, I can search the actual page
for information, because I often forget the classification.

Maybe we can learn from this: a search setting, where all
bookmarked files are searched. That would help to find the
bookmark group....

> Usually I do some
fruitless hunting and then end up doing a grep on my bookmarks
file.  (Having found it, the URL is usually defunct of course :-)

That's the reason, why I store the content of the page :-)

This type of situation leads me to believe that bookmarks must be
relatively short-lived. More importantly, fingers gradually fade over
time, becoming less visible.  There's nothing worse than having
stale information cluttering your display.

I beleive that bookmarks and history should somehow merged together.
Often when I was browsing code, a few steps later, I know that the
relevance of code I have seen before. Therefore a list of "history
bookmarks" can be useful.

You might be interested in trying out FEAT, a plug-in available at
<http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/spl/projects/feat/>.

That sounds very much like what I am looking for. I'll give it a try
(when it's avaibalbe for eclipse 2.1.1) :-)

Michael

Back to the top