[platform-ui-dev] Preference pages in 2.1 harder to read than 2.0

A few of the preference pages ("Java" for example) in 2.1 are using SWT Group controls now instead of a Label followed by indentation. I thought I saw an article on the website saying the groupboxes should be used sparingly. They give the pages a "busy" appearance, especially when you see 4 in a row.

Was this change made for accessibility? I hope not.  I could easily write my own version of CLabel that will receive focus (and therefore be screen-readable).  If this was done for accessiblity, why do other pages continue to use the Label followed by indented controls (e.g. "Install/Update")?

The way in which Groups are used has changed too.  In 2.0, radio buttons would be laid out vertically and could be easily read 90% if the time.  Now we see a mixture of horizontal and vertical radio buttons. I guess this decision is based both on the number of choices and the length of the text for each choice, but I would ask that vertical be favored whenever possible.

Randy Hudson

Back to the top