Re: [platform-ui-dev] Stealth XML editor project?

Bob,
here is the background.

PDE includes an XML based editor for the manifest on the source page. A 2.1 planning item is to improve its usability. In particular it was lacking dynamic reconciling which is an integral part of the Eclipse editing story. We were asked to show an example for how to do this. When we started to work on the example it became obvious that this can easily be generalized. We therefore ended up with a more general XML editing infrastructure. The current plan is to use it PDE internally only. BTW, the current Ant editing story also lacks dynamic reconciling, so this would be another use case for the infrastructure, but we might run out of time here.

As I understand there are currently no plans to make this infrastructure generally available in 2.2. Its main focus was to address our internal XML editing needs. In addition, the Eclipse 2.2 "proto" plan points out that we want to improve the support for mixed-language editing such as Java with embedded JSQL or JSPs. With the internal XML editing infrastructure we also try to learn about the shortcomings of the text and editing frameworks that might prevent us from achieving this in 2.2.

Kai