Re: [platform-ui-dev] GEF transition to use editorActions extension point

Randy,

We are aware of these limitations with contributed actions.  There are no
plans to improve on this for 2.1.
However, we would like to look at broad improvements to action
contributions (and, more broadly, the whole action architecture) post 2.1.

The intent of contributed actions is to allow other plug-ins to add
functionality to existing views, editors, and the context menu for
selected objects.
It is not recommended as the primary means for an editor or view to
provide its own actions.

To address your points below,
Point 1: To do better, we would have to activate plug-ins more eagerly. We
want to avoid this.
Point 2: We looked at supporting combo boxes in action sets late in 2.0.
WSAD would like this as well.  However, it is not on the plan for 2.1.
There are plug-in activation issues here too (to populate the combo box).
Point 3. This is a documentation and education issue.  It is possible to
make object contributions to context menus dynamic based on different
filtering criteria.

Nick

Randy Hudson/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx