[platform-ui-dev] GEF transition to use editorActions extension point

GEF currently provides a way for clients to programmatically populate the toolbar and context menu.  But, we don't do anything like merge contributions, etc., we just say "here, you build it".

We would like to switch over to the "platform" way of populating the menus and toolbars via plugin.xml.  However, after talking to others who work with "real world" Editors (as opposed to our Logic example), most Editors do not use the platform method for contributing to actionbars. If GEF changed to use plugin.xml as the way to add actions, many clients would not be able to maintain their current functionality.

There is a variety of reasons for not using the current platform mechanism, including:
- Action proxies are not resolved until the user clicks on the Action.  This is unacceptable for toggle actions, or actions which change their text/image dynamically.
- There is no way to add a Combobox (or non-standard widget) to the Toolbar via plugin.xml (this has been discussed peviously, I have a DCR to allow ActionContributionItem extension point instead of Action)
- Developers didn't know about or understand the filter mechanism, and thought that context menus could not be dynamic

Will any of these issues be resolved for 2.1?

Thanks,
Randy Hudson
GEF Team

Back to the top