Re: [platform-ui-dev] 2.1 M4 Plan posted

Well, actually, you're right -- we don't like the editors dialog too much.
 We feel it is too modal, too hidden, and too difficult to get at for
mouse users.
However, it has been hard to replace, since it does provide functionality
not available elsewhere.

It would be interesting to know which features of the current editors
dialog you find most useful.  Do you use it just for switching, or do you
make use of some of the other features.  Is being able to see the full
path important?

We're hoping that the editors drop-down will provide equivalent
functionality.  For example, the drop-down will support multi-selection.
Its context menu will include Save, Close, Select Clean Editors, and
Invert Selection, will allow you to sort by name or by most recently used,
and allow you to toggle whether the full path is shown in the drop-down.
The same accelerator used for the editors dialog will activate the
drop-down (Ctrl+Shift+W), although I'd like to change this to Ctrl+E. This
is currently used for delete line in text editors though.

We're still facing a couple of issues with the drop-down though.  Unlike
the editors dialog, it will not be able to show editors across all
windows.  And we're debating how it should work when you have two editor
workbooks.  Each workbook will have the drop-down (in the same way that
each workbook has tabs).  Should it show only the editors for the single
workbook, or for all editors in the window?

Nick

Marco Qualizza <mqualizza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
11/26/02 10:59 AM