Re: [platform-ui-dev] RE: [jdt-ui-dev] Hyperlinked code feature in M3

Scott raised the issue that it was difficult for him to find the generate
Java Doc support. Here are the options we considered when
finding a home for this action:

1)    export wizard
We are using the "export" extension point for generating JARs.
Generating javadoc is a similar process: you run a tool that processes the
contents
in the workspace that generates results outside (sometimes inside) of the
workspace.
Therefore generate javadoc can fit into export.

Scott - why didn't you have any problems to locate the JAR exporting
inside the export wizard (was it because VA/Java users are used to it)?

2)    Tools menu
Add a top level "Tools" menu and add the generation actions like
generate JAR, generate Java Doc to this menu. The issue
with a Tools menu is that it can easily become a  kitchen sink and be
misused. If there is a Tools menu, then it should
be standardized by the workbench. For the above reasons we
didn't even start this discussion with the workbench.

3)    Source menu
Put the generate javadoc action into the Source menu.
This stretches the purpose of the Source menu. We
created it for source manipulation actions.

Given the above options we have decided for 1).

Sebastion proposed below to turn the Export action into
a similar action as New with a submenu. This enables
to find exporters by scanning the menus. It is not clear to me
how well this would scale since many exporters are
not perspective specific.

--erich

                      "Nick Edgar"
                      <Nick_Edgar@oti.c         To:      platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      om>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: Re: [platform-ui-dev] RE: [jdt-ui-dev] Hyperlinked code feature in
                      jdt-ui-dev-admin@         M3
                      eclipse.org

                      11/21/2002 09:08
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      jdt-ui-dev

I think the complaint was that "Export" wasn't intuitive for javadoc
generation to begin with.
This is really a JDT issue.

Nick

Sebastian Davids <sdavids@xxxxxx>