Re: [platform-ui-dev] Relationship of IWorkbenchWindow and IWorkbenchPage

As of release 2.0 of Eclipse, an IWorkbenchWindow contains only one
IWorkbenchPage, and this page contains all the views and editors. A page
can display more than one perspective on these views and editors.

The article is out-of-date Pleas open a bug report to have it updated.

Simon :-)

                      "jml" <jml@xxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                       To:      <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      platform-ui-dev-admin@         cc:
                      eclipse.org                    Subject: [platform-ui-dev] Relationship of IWorkbenchWindow and
                                                     IWorkbenchPage

                      11/20/02 08:58 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ui-dev

Hi,

I am a little confused about the relationship of IWorkbenchWindow,
IWorkbenchPage and perspective and together with views.

From the document "Using Perspectives in the Eclipse UI", it seemed that
once user invoke open perspective, a new IWorkbenchPage will be created.
Normally my eclipse window will have mutliple perspective, so that means in
a window there will have multiple IWorkbenchPage. The javadoc for
IWorkbenchPage says "views and editors are contained wholly within the page
and are not shared with other pages", but it seemed that the views in
different perspective are really the same view.

Also, I tried the following, inserting a line to the setFocus() function of
one of my editor,

System.out.println(this.getSite().getPage().toString())

and when I switch between perspectives, I get the same output.
This seemed to mean the editor in different perspective is using the same
IWorkbenchPage. And conflict with the article "Using Perspectives in the
Eclipse UI".

So I am confused, can anyone do some help?

thanks

jml

Back to the top