Re: [platform-ui-dev] Toolbar action inconsistencies

See my comments below...

Simon :-)

                      "Cornell, Kevin"
                      <kcornell@xxxxxxxxxxxx         To:      "'platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      >                              cc:
                      Sent by:                       Subject: [platform-ui-dev] Toolbar action inconsistencies
                      platform-ui-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      11/19/02 12:19 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ui-dev

I have noticed some inconsistencies (or incompleteness) in how actions are
defined in XML (plugin.xml/fragment.xml).

Action Sets (org.eclipse.ui.actionSets)
- The "pulldown" attribute enables an action in the toolbar to have an
associated drop-down menu. Unfortunately, it appears impossible to define
the contents of that menu in XML. The pulldown menu contents are defined in
code by calling IWorkbenchWindowPulldownDelegate.getMenu(). It should be
possible to define the pulldown menu completely in XML.

SA> Please enter an enhancement request for this. It's something that is
missing for sure.

- An action defined in the toolbar should be able to use a combobox (e.g,
for a list of font names, font sizes, etc.)
SA> There is  already a problem report open for this (22642)

Editor Actions (org.eclipse.ui.editorActions)
- Although an accelerator can be defined for an editor action, the XML does
not allow the "definitionId" attribute to be defined as actions in an
action set.

SA> Please enter another bug report for this one

- Editor actions defined for the main toolbar cannot define the "pulldown"
attribute. Pulldown actions in the toolbar should be supported, along with
a mechanism to completely define that pulldown menu in XML.

SA> Please enter another bug report for this one too

- An editor action defined in the toolbar should be able to use a combobox.

SA> Please enter another bug report for this one too

View Actions (org.eclipse.ui.viewActions)
- View actions defined for its local toolbar cannot define the "pulldown"
attribute. Pulldown actions in this toolbar should be supported, along with
a mechanism to completely define that pulldown menu in XML.

SA> Please enter another bug report for this one too

- A view action defined in its local toolbar should be able to use a
combobox.

SA> Please enter another bug report for this one too

Are there any plans to add this functionality to 2.1 and should I log a
feature request bug?

SA> Enter a bug/enhancement report for each of these. We will look at them
and if we decide we can fix some/all for 2.1, we will mark the milestone
field.

Kevin

Kevin Cornell
Senior Staff Software Engineer,