[platform-ui-dev] Customizable Keybindings in Eclipse 2.1 M3

There is a new keybinding architecture in place for Eclipse 2.1 M3. Users
can now customize key sequences to invoke many of the actions within
Eclipse.

The keybinding engine itself should be quite stable by this point, but
there is some work which remains to be completed over the next couple of
weeks:

1. The UI (located on the preference dialog -> workbench -> key bindings)
is a very recent addition (I can count the hours). It is not functionally
complete and there are known and obvious bugs.
2. The plugin.xml files need to be generally reviewed across eclipse to
ensure actions are properly exposed for key binding customization, as well
as ensuring that the out-of-the-box keybindings for various platforms are
correctly defined.
3. Full documentation on our keybinding architecture needs to be completed
and disseminated.

Known issues in the keybindings UI:

1. You can't type in a new key sequence yet. For now, you are limited to
choosing one of the existing key sequences and overriding actions therein.
2. I have hidden row selection on the table until such time as I can make
it useful to select an existing key binding for editing.
3. Non-destructive rendering bug: when you customize a binding and press
set, the default value will always be printed as '(undefined').
4. Advanced features for displaying out-of-the-box keybinding conflicts
between plugins are missing.
5. Tooltip descriptions and icons are not being displayed for actions.
6. I plan on removing the 'Set' button entirely to enable a live and more
intuitive view between the primary controls and the table.
7. I am considering adding a means to display all the key sequences for a
given action.

Thanks,
Chris

Back to the top